Frequently Asked Questions
What is Habitat for Humanity?
Millard and Linda Fuller founded Habitat for Humanity International in 1976. The Rutherford County affiliate began operation in 1989. Habitat for Humanity is an ecumenical Christian organization dedicated to the elimination of inadequate and substandard housing around the world. Rutherford County Habitat for Humanity (RCHFH) is dedicated to eliminating substandard housing in Rutherford County. Today, we have built over 100 new homes in our community.
Does RCHFH give houses away?
No. The families in our program buy the homes that we build together. Each family is required to work 300-400 sweat equity hours depending on the makeup of the family, and to attend a 30 week Homeowner's Education class.. After the construction is completed, houses are sold at no profit and are mortgaged with no interest.
How much do people pay for RCHFH houses?
The average cost of a Habitat home in Rutherford County is $80,000. That cost includes the land and construction of the home. Mortgages average 25 years in length with average monthly payments of $360. A portion of this payment is held in escrow to pay for property taxes and homeowner insurance.
Who qualifies for RCHFH houses and how are RCHFH Partner Families chosen?
Applicants must be Rutherford County residents who earn between 30% and 50% of the median income for the area. Among other requirements, the applicants must demonstrate that their current housing is substandard and that they have a desire and the ability to commit to being homeowners. Any individual interested in applying for the program should call 890-5877 ext. 103 for more information. Families are chosen without regard to cultural background, color, creed, disability, familial status, or race, sex, or religion.
Families applying for Habitat housing must demonstrate need (living in substandard housing), ability to pay a small non-interest bearing note, and willingness to work sweat equity. RCHFH's Family Selection Committee reviews applications and conducts home visits to the current residences of the families. The committee evaluates the applicants and brings its recommendations before the board of directors for approval. Families are chosen without regard cultural background, sex, handicap, religion, or station in life.
How can I get involved?
If you would like to volunteer your time and energy to help us build or organize the projects you may fill out the Volunteer Interest Form online. You can also call us at 615.890.5877 or email email@example.com if you would like to get involved with Rutherford County Habitat for Humanity.
We appreciate your interest!
Did You Know?
- We are a licensed contractor.
- We have built over 119 homes in RC since 1989.
- RCHFH home owners pay over $80,000 in city & county property taxes annually.
- RCHFH & Murfreesboro Community Development was one of seven Audrey Nelson Community Development Achievement Awards from the National Community Development Association for our innovative partnership to build our 100th home.
- Ranked 4th in Nation in Habitat new house production for FY2013.
- Home builds have added over $270 million to the tax base in our state.
- Habitat homebuyers have under a 2.9% foreclosure rate.
- There are 51 Habitat for Humanity affiliates who serve 63 counties to build and sell simple, decent, affordable housing in partnership with people in need.
- Today, we have helped build over 500,000 decent, affordable houses and served more than 2 million people around the world.
- Builder magazine ranked Habitat for Humanity International the 6th largest builder in their top 100 Builders in 2010.
our offSAVE THE DATE!
We have several exciting events this year.
Please mark your calendars and SAVE THE DATE!
2014 WOMEN BUILD
Lowe's Women Build Clinic - April 5th
For more information on Women Build, click on the volunteer tab!
2014 HOUSE OF FAITH
Sing! Shout! Raise The Roof! - June 7th
Hammer Down For Habitat - September 20th
Cookin' To Build - November 1st
For more information about you can participate or donate to any of these events, please call our office at 890-5877.